- The gut does more than absorb food
- It is the first line of defense in the immune system.
- Mis-education can cause autoimmune diseases
- Gluten filled grains should be avoided like Wheat, rye, barley and their cross contaminating cousins corn, and sorghum may all play a role in triggering these dynamic gut changes.
- There also may be Cross-reactivity and stimulation of allergens by other foods like dairy, soy, corn, and pork.
- Immune activation causes changes in gut permeability and blood brain permeability. This allows for the passage of toxins into areas that are not equipped to eliminate them and may play a significant role in depression.
THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
- Once gluten has reached the gut mucosa, it can stimulate production of antibodies.
- TTG (Tissue trans-glutaminase) is an enzyme that plays an important role in the immune system of the gut. And a Marker for Celiac Disease.
- TTG is active in the central nervous system, and high levels can cause a host of symptoms including depression, seizures, headaches, multiple sclerosis/demyelination, anxiety, ADHD, and ataxia.
- 51% of the Celiac population develops neurologic or psychiatric dysfunction, as well as neuropathy which has been found to be resolved by reducing gluten exposure.
- There is a high incidence of positive antibodies in schizophrenics.
- An important note is Neurological Symptoms usually present in the absence of any reportable gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Autoimmune thyroid disease occurs in high rates among Celiac and gluten sensitive individuals.
- Researchers have identified shared pathology to these two conditions.
- The inflammatory cytokines cause immune reactivity in Celiac disease and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
CONCERNS with INGESTION
* Gluten can travel through the blood stream can stimulate opiate receptors in the brain resulting in GLUTA-mophone.
* The effects of this stimulation may have wide-ranging psychiatric manifestations, including addiction potential of these foods.
* Those eating high gluten diets can expect to undergo 1-3 weeks of withdrawal.
* Gluten containing foods contain high levels of lectin. Lectin is used in pesticides.
* Lectin promotes intestinal inflammation and permeability, which then can cause wide-spread and varied organ damage by binding with sugars in body tissues.
- Bt-toxin and glyphosate are two poisons heavily employed in the production of genetically modified crops. Bt-toxin causes perforating effects on insect digestive tracts and has been found in fetal circulation
- RoundUp, weed killer, has active bacteria-killing and inflammatory effects in our guts, over use has allowed this in the ground water supply, further polluting the crops.
- Vegetable oils, soy, corn, and animals consuming corn products are everywhere in the standard American diet, which likely perpetuates gut dysfunction and accelerated gluten sensitivity.
KNOWLEDGE AND HEALING
- Lab testing called “Celiac panel” are only test for alpha gliadin, tissue transglutaminase 2, and endomesial antibody.
- IgG allergy testing tests gut reaction to wheat/gluten
- 23andme tests metabolic markers and defects
Some degree of gluten reactivity is thought to occur in up to 80% of the population.
Response to gluten free diets and reduction of inflammation is remarkable and extraordinarily beneficial.
Celiac incidence has increased by more than 400% in the past 50 years; likely as an adaptive mechanism to decrease environmental toxicity.